Sunday, October 4, 2009

Why does God make bumpy roads?

I kept trying to explain that God doesn't make roads, God inspires people to make them. Or other responses like this. But she continued, "Why does God make ........." and it finally occurred to me, that maybe she was right. Isn't God in all of us? Isn't God in everything? Maybe it is God who makes roads and toys and books and movies.

She continues to refer to God as "the maker of e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g." No, those aren't her words, but she always asks "Why did God make______ like this?"

It got me thinking about while I believe God is everywhere, I guess I don't actually believe it the way Sweet Darling does. She's just more universal about it. I have learned how people do hard work and make things. I don't want to think about God being in plastic, or even, gasp, giving God credit for my hard work.

But I have started to. I have started to look at everything, everything, as God. I have started thanking God for everything (everything), all day long. Thank you God for these bumpy roads, my car, traffic jams, long lines, the plastic wrapper that my junk mail came in today, the rubber band that the mail carrier uses everyday, the rottting carrots that got lost in the fridge, the cat's puke on the already stained rug, as well as for the more obvious, happier things (good friends, wonderful family, good food to eat, etc.) It has been helping me to feel less and less alone. I crave less and less alone time, because I see myself actually surrounded by God and God's blessings everywhere, all day long.

It does, after all, make sense to not feel a lone all the time. We are not alone, even if we are not with people. Even if you don't believe in "GOD the Almighty", we are still always covered in bacteria, surrounded by microbes, and energy. Perhaps seeing God in EVERYTHING is part of the key to feeling with God at all times.

How do you remember to feel connected to God?

1 comment:

  1. My kid does the same thing, and I try to explain that God doesn't *make* guns and plastic and houses, we do... but God gave us the ability to make these things, permission to screw up the making of these things... but I can never quite explain it well. And so I really like this post! I thought I was the only one stumbling through these conversations :-)

    I remember to feel connected to God by saying things like "Time is my friend" because it helps me to slow down and look around, and not worry so hard. Little reminders that there is a here and now, and not just things to be taken care of in the next hour or day or year are what I really need. I think God is in every moment that feels like it's here right now, and noticing those moments in my kids eyes and in a flowing water running in the woods and in the way the sun is reflecting off the water onto a huge tree across the creek... those times are perfect reminders that God is in everything, and in me, and the whole world.

    ReplyDelete