Saturday, October 3, 2009

listening to your inner voice = listening to your child

You know how sometimes you hear your inner voice directing you to do something that makes you a little uncomfortable, but you do it anyway? Sometimes, I think, it's the same with listening to the young people in our lives. Sometimes I let Sweet Darling make decisions for herself that most parents I know wouldn't. For instance, I rarely make her wear shoes, unless we're going into a building that requires them. Maybe she is more connected to Mother Earth this way. Maybe she lives life better with her feet free and unbound in anyway. Maybe she loves they way the ground feels under her soft feet and between her toes. Maybe I'll never know. Maybe, I don't have to know. Susun Weed the herbalist rarely wears shoes. Not all people in this world wear shoes, and it's not just because they are poor.

Maybe listening to Sweet Darling in that same way that I listen to my inner wisdom is a little scary and uncomfortable, but maybe it's the smart thing to do. I am inspired by her to have a bigger life that is not dictated by the random rules of the society. I can trust her to make smart decisions for herself, and she learns this trust about herself as well. This is very inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment