Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I want to be with you because I love you!

Of course, right? I say this to my daughter when she asks me why am I with her. (Why she asks is because she sees and hears about so many kids being alone or without their parents)

And now she follows me around saying this to me. We turn it into a song as well, "I love you and so I want to be with you". The tune and exact lyrics seem to change from day to day, but the idea is there.

I have had the tendency in my past to be quite independent, not wanting intruders in my life uninvited. I would feel bogged down, or annoyed to have someone follow me around just to be with me. I would feel watched, judged or like I was supposed to entertain. I admit, some of these feelings have come up for me as a parent, but then, I remember, my goals of connection, togetherness, and being present.

I intend to stay present, and therefore connected to God at all times. I think it makes sense to do my best to stay connected to God's creatures as well. I think it makes sense to say close to other humans, "just because".

I also believe that many of us are urged to become independent from quite an early age. It's very respected to have a baby and/or toddler that doesn't cry, doesn't ask for much, and is content to play by him or herself. Most people train their babies and young children to be okay being on their own, to sleep alone, play alone, sooth themselves when they get hurt or upset. I think this is a wasted opportunity for closeness and for getting to really know each other. I have consciously decided to stay close to her and to use having a child as an opportunity to figure out closeness in general with other people, animals and God.

God (or the Universe, or however you think of this Great Presence) is always with us because God loves us. Period. No other reason. Why not do our best to mimic this and not try to figure out how to be alone so often. Why not just be near someone because we can? I choose to keep trying this and see what happens. I choose to know that I am loved and that I am loving, just because I am. My daughter helps me to remember this.

No comments:

Post a Comment